Monday, February 10, 2014

Birth Plan Necessary or Nuisance?

 "What's the point, it never goes as you plan anyway?" Just ask any mom who has more than one kid, no two births are the same, and rarely perfect. Some have quick labor, some have long, some have traumatic, some have c-sections. Birth is an experience that brings life through a wonderful kind of suffering- a unique kind of suffering for each individual. When my water broke eight weeks early with Bree, doctors warned me that I would either be induced, or have a c-section. In most cases, premature babies are born by c-section. I had to grieve, this, because it wasn't part of my " natural birth plan." This news quickly changed my view and perspective about birth plans, and Nate and I began drafting up multiple birth plans for if were in an emergency situation for c-section and/ or if I had to be induced. We knew that no matter if we had a c-section, induction or natural- it wasn't going to be the way we planned. Five days later I went into natural labor.

 The day I went into labor, Nate and I used the beginning of my early labor to review our Bradley Method book: Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. We practiced breathing, positioning, and the stages of labor. You can read our birth story here: An Unexpected Arrival. It wasn't until I was moved to labor and delivery that I truly understood the importance of a birth plan.



Being moved to Labor and Delivery we knew that this was not going to be the natural birth plan that we had hoped for, but we were prepared for what it was going to be like... or so we thought.Our original plan was to be free of monitors during labor- however, this was not going to be possible for our situation. This made it much harder for me, all I wanted to do was walk around, get in the fetal position and take a shower. I didn't plan on having an epidural, however, they hooked me up to an IV just in case. I felt strapped down, and tied down, not ideal for a woman in labor! We began adjusting our plan as we went. This was key for success. Nate and I had talked ahead of time about what we wanted in our birth situation, so it was easier to adapt, because we could make adjustments as needed.  I moved onto all fours on the bed hooked up and everything. I breathed slowly and calmly through each contraction bringing our sweet one into the world. 


So, all this to say, that it was foolish to have a birth plan right?  After delivering  Bree, the NICU staff were amazed that Bree was breathing on her own, everyone warned me that her lungs weren't mature enough yet. But she came screaming her little heart out! I was later told that if I had the epidural that Bree most likely would not have come out breathing, and her heart rate most likely would have dropped to the point where I would have to have a c-section.



 After our experience, I learned some really valuable lessons that I hope encourage you if you are curious or skeptical about birth plans.

1. Have grace for yourself if it doesn't all turn out just how you imagined it. Have grace even if you have to have an epidural, induction or c-section. Have patience with the outcome. You may have a story like mine that isn't perfect, and needs some grieving and healing- that's ok. Birth is such an emotional and spiritual experience, allow yourself to go through the motions. 

2.Get educated as much as possible before your big day! I didn't have as much time as I thought I did, and put off a lot of this- it was like cramming for  the ultimate final for me and Nate. I was pulling out all the pages I had bookmarked but didn't look at. I was now reading up on preemie birth stats and so on. Try and research what you can about all issues. You never know if you're going to need a C-section, and you'll want to be semi prepared if you need one. 


2. Have a plan for once your babe is born. Skin to skin vs. bath? Who can take my baby and why? Breastfeeding, when and how? When does the cord get cut? These are crucial! And most hospitals have their standards and procedures, but you can ask for an alternative!  Make these decisions ahead of time and have hubby help enforce them if this is possible. There are many procedures that happen to newborns that aren't necessarily beneficial or needed. Research what happens post birth, and what you want to see happen. 

3. Plan for the unexpected. Some women need pitocin to get things going. Are you ready for that? Do you and hubby know what pitocin is, and what its uses are for. How much can the doctor give you? Yes, you can tell the doctor how much to give you! 

4. The one thing that you can't be prepared for is how amazing it is going to be!!!! Despite circumstances way out of my plan, I was so blessed to experience child birth.   It's an amazing experience that no one can prepare for!

***Comment below if you had a birth plan, why or why not! :-) 

If you're interested in creating a birth plan below is a link to a great one. This is so important for you and hubby to talk about and plan for all scenarios. Even if you are planning on having an epidural or c-section it's still crucial to understanding the scenario and having some input in the situation! 


This is a great place to start getting some information on childbirth! 



2 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

We had a birth plan and it seemed to surprise the nurses- even more so that we planned on everything being natural! It was a first for one of the nurses to witness a totally natural birth, she even called after her shift to see how everything went! I found our birth plan and am still needing to remind myself that this second baby could be completely different and that our "plan" may not be God's plan.

Unknown said...

haha I know birth plans do surprise hospital staff, but that's ok! :-) Proud of you mama! And our plans don't always work out... mine didn't in that sense, but God always brings good from it! <3 U! And can't wait to meet cutie number 2!!!