Friday, December 19, 2014

Time Out!





I'm sitting by the Christmas tree, the lights are twinkling, a cup of lavender tea in hand with a few sugar cookies fresh out of the oven. Taking in a moment to myself- this is one of the most nourishing moments of my day. Yes, the kitchen looks like it threw up Christmas, and there is flour all over me, but I'm taking a minute before I get back in there. I have been learning the difference between nourishing and indulging. Nourishing oneself means that at the end of the activity you feel energized, calmer, and refreshed. Indulging often feels good in the moment but as soon as its over you feel the same as when you left.

Becoming a mom was one of the most life altering experiences I have had yet. One of the greatest lessons that I learned is the importance of nourishing myself, so that I can give the best to my husband and daughter. Being 7 months pregnant has also given me an opportunity to slow down, focus in on my family, and when nap time breaks occur- take them and fill them with intentionally nourishing things. So here's a list of some of the nourishing things that I do:


1. Read my bible and have quite time with Jesus!
2. Pour a cup of tea and listen to music
3. Yoga outside
4. Hiking with my family
5. Blogging
6. Sitting and reflecting on the day
7. Using my essential oils
8. Hot bath with herbs and tea
9. Learning new things
10. Snuggling up with my man

The holidays have always been stressful for me, between family issues, or getting the right gift, my tendency is to reach for the nearest sweet treat and indulge! Now, I love cookies and Starbucks as much as the next girl, but rather than racing to Starbucks or reaching for another cookie- I have taken a stance the last few years to spend time each day doing one of the things off my list. It doesn't have to be all day, but a little bit here and there adds up quickly, making me more refreshed and calm to deal with whatever may come my way.  This Christmas season as life gets busy and stressful I hope that you remember to nourish your body, mind and soul so that you can enjoy time with your friends and family to the fullest- no matter how crazy your family may be!

 The thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy, but I have come that you may have life and have it to the full! John 10:10 

No comments: