Saturday, February 15, 2014

Quitting the Habit of "White Stuff!"

The minute those two lines popped up on the test I started eating super healthy, nutritious foods. Seven months later I was hospitalized and put on bed rest. The hospital didn't seem to have the same idea of healthy foods that I did. I was disappointed to find that most of the foods served weren't "real foods" and certainly not healthy for my body. When Bree arrived, the stress combined with living 2 hrs away from our house made eating healthy practically impossible.

I never expected my body to lose the baby weight quickly, but I certainly didn't think that I would gain postpartum weight! My plans of eating healthy, going on walks with my newborn, and getting back to more intense yoga sessions came to a screeching halt in the NICU. My body did not handle the sedentary life, stress and the fast food well at all. By our third and final discharge from the NICU (3 months later) I had put on more weight than I did in my entire pregnancy! While this clearly wasn't my focus at the time, I knew coming home that I needed to start focusing on my health. I began exercising lightly and eating better, but still the weight wouldn't come off.

I watched other mom's just breastfeed there babies and not change their diet or exercise at all and still lose a ton of weight. I had women joke to me "don't you just love the breastfeeding diet?" Well, for me, even after coming home, exercising and eating better it just wasn't working. I knew that a diet wasn't the answer for me... I needed a lifestyle change. At the beginning of this year Nate and I committed to eating only real food. We took all processed foods out of our diet-- and I wish that I had done this years ago! Now, we have cheated here and there, but for the most part, we don't have any white sugar, flour, or anything packaged. 



I have never felt this good in my life! I not only have a ton more energy, sleep better, but also noticed that my milk supply for Bree has increased! I am loving learning all of the different ways to serve healthy foods without all the "bad stuff." I never starve myself, or skip meals. In fact I eat a better variety and fill my plate full of fresh fruits, veggies and protein! This is our new lifestyle, both Nate and I have lost weight and we are swearing that we'll never go back-- especially after a Jack in the Box cheat two weeks ago that left us both feeling awful! 

I'm back in my pre-pregnancy clothes again, and working on getting even healthier than before I was pregnant. I am loving preparing fresh, healthy foods for my family, and knowing that what we are eating is fuel for our bodies!

These are some simple tips on how we got started so that you can join our journey too!

1. Throw out all sugar, flour, anything processed in your house so it won't be a temptation! (Do not try and eat it all up and then start--- it doesn't work, trust me!)

2. Create a meal plan at the beginning of every week. This helped a ton, so that we aren't tempted to just get fast food or make something quick and easy (aka spaghetti)

3. Enjoy each other's company without food! This was huge for us! Nate and I are both active people, and love the outdoors, but we also love to eat! Enjoy eating at meal times, and find other things to do when it isn't a meal time. Taking a walk, doing yoga or playing a card game have helped us.  Foot rubs are also a great way to connect without food!!

4. Get good fats in your diet. Throw away anything that says low-fat, no-fat, canola oil, Mediterranean oil, vegetable oil etc. these are all highly processed and lead to serious diseases such as cancer. Coconut oil, avocado oil, and some olive oils are great choices!

5. Have fun trying new recipes and foods that you may have never wanted to try. I am personally loving all of the different things that you can do with cauliflower!

Comment below with the real foods that you are eating, great recipes that you love or questions on how to quit the "white stuff!"

Here are some great resources full of information to help you and your family make healthy eating choices!

http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

http://www.westonaprice.org/basics/dietary-guidelines

http://wellnessmama.com/15/harmful-effects-of-sugars/

http://wellnessmama.com/743/guide-to-fats/

No comments: