Monday, March 30, 2015

DIY Cleaning Products


Earth day is just around the corner, and spring is already here- the best combination of the two natural spring cleaning!! For those of you who know me, know that I love natural products that are safe and healthy for our families and our environment. There are so many harmful chemicals found in our cleaning supplies though.  They are found in our hand sanitizer, our classrooms, hospitals, used to wipe down grocery carts. You really can't avoid these harmful chemicals in public, however, we can take a stand in our home!

Before having Bree I had no idea about natural cleaning products. Our Bradley instructor handed me a book with all of the reasons why natural cleaners were better for our air, counter tops and hands. I was overwhelmed by the information, and decided not to focus on it right then. Months after we brought Bree home from the NICU,  I was cleaning the sink with Lysol, my precious baby was in the wrap right against me, and we were both breathing in the chemicals, that's when I knew I had to do something different- something safe!


After doing tons of research I learned how easy it was to make my own cleaners. Cleaners that would be safe for our little one and for our family. Traditional cleaners disrupt the adrenal system, create asthma or make it worse, harm our lungs, and diminish our ability to reproduce! These are risks that I don't feel comfortable with in my home.  Our bodies aren't meant to be exposed to such harsh chemicals. A lot of the newest research is able to link cleaning products to tumors and cancerous cells now as well!  Check out the worst chemicals for your home and why you should avoid them



http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2011/10/25/most-toxic-cleaning-products.html#viewAll

https://experiencelife.com/article/8-hidden-toxins-whats-lurking-in-your-cleaning-products/

https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/how-toxic-are-your-household-cleaning-supplies


There are tons of organic and green options on the market now that make it really easy for families to make different choices. However, some of them still aren't safe for your little one to be around, and what if your so cute toddler accidentally sucks on the lid, or gets into it with their hands- you may still need to call poison control!

That is why I have fallen in love with my cleaners, Bree can suck on the cap if she wants. Now it probably wouldn't be good for her if she sucked a bunch down, but we wouldn't ever have to call poison control!

All Purpose Cleaner Recipe

*** I love using this for the kitchen, bathroom- literally cleans most of the surfaces in my house!

4oz White Distilled Vinegar

4oz Water

1oz Witch Hazel

15-20 drops of Tea Tree/Lemon Essential Oils (tea tree is a great disinfectant and lemon is a great grease cutter)


Toilet Cleaner

I like to sprinkle the inside of the toilet with baking soda and pour in some vinegar and let it sit in the toilet while I spray down the outside with my all purpose cleaner, and then scrub the inside! Works like a charm every time!!! If you want your toilet smelling awesome a few drops of lemon, or lavender do just the trick!

Soap Scum and Hard To Clean Spaces

Honestly, I just use baking soda and undiluted vinegar, let it sit (it will bubble- that's the magic happening) and then scrub off!! It works wonders!! Instead of using paper towels, I have found that scrubby wash cloths like microfiber get the job done great, and are better for the environment!

Displaying IMG_20150330_094951.jpgFloor Cleaner

1 Gallon of Warm Water

2 Tablespoons of  Unscented Castille Soap

4 Drops of Tea Tree Oil

8 Drops of Lemon Oil

Carpet Cleaner/Stain Remover

1 Cup of Baking Soda

5 Drops of Lavender Oil

Here are some great resources if you are interested in natural cleaning

http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-homes/green-household-cleaners-zmaz90jazshe.aspx

http://wellnessmama.com/6244/natural-cleaning-tips/


My Favorite Essential Oils to Use

1. Lemon: It is so fresh and clean smelling and a great antibacterial. Lemon is also a great grease cutter, so I love having this one in the kitchen!

2. Tea Tree: Smells very clean, and is the perfect antibacterial for the bathroom sink and for anything that gets full of germs.

3. Lavender: Has a fresh scent that relaxes and welcomes anyone into a room. I love using this for the bathroom, carpet cleaner etc. It is also a great antibacterial so it pairs nicely with tea tree for a lovely bathroom cleaner.

4. Tangerine/Wild Orange: This is a great mood lifter, who likes to clean anyway? It's also an incredible antiseptic




Happy GREEN Spring Cleaning!
And more DIY recipes to come! Stay tuned......






No comments: