Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Protecting the earth one family at a time

Happy earth day!! In honor of earth day I have put together five easy ways to save the environment as a family- today!

1. As many of you know too well, having two kids under two can get expensive! Diapers rank the top of the list in terms of kid cost, but not when it comes to cloth diapers! Our family has spent a total of less than $300 on diapers.... ever!! That is huge savings!! Cloth diapers aren't just good for your pocket book, their really good for the environment. You don't have to be a natural hippie to make a difference.

By far my favorite company is GroVia. They are a reputable company that cares about their customers desires and the environment. We use their Hybrid system, which means that we use a shell with a snap in insert.

Check out their video to get a taste of how easy cloth diapering can be:

2. If you aren't ready to do the full plunge to cloth diapers, a great place to start is cloth wipes. They are so much better for the environment and your baby's bum than any natural wipe out there! I just use baby wash cloths with a homemade baby wipe solution and voila! I love that I can use them anywhere to wipe up messes, baby fingers, or on a little bum.

Image result for paper towels bad for environment



3.Another great way that is super easy to save on the environment is not buying paper towels. I love using kitchen towels, wash cloths and un-paper towels. You're going to wash your bath towels anyway, why not just use towels for the whole house! Etsy has some really adorable ones that you can custom order to match any kitchen!



4.  Before I learned how bad plastic bags were on the environment I thought it was so odd for people to bring bags to the store, after all the bags are the only free thing in the store- but I have since learned from the error of my ways!! Taking your own bags to the store saves the environment, space in your house and it can be really fun! Seriously people, this one isn't that hard to do and you'll love not having to store a bunch of plastic bags in a drawer or inside of another plastic bag stash. I love taking my cute reusable bags to the store, and bring along reusable produce bags as well!!



5. And lastly the best thing you can do to protect and save the environment is get outside!! We live in a culture where the average kid gets 10 minutes a day outside. I  don't know about you but when I was a kid I literally spent hours everyday outside. Kids aren't going to protect what they don't know about, and neither will you! If you spend time outside you will want to take care and protect the environment, and that is something that will get passed down through the ages!! Happy earth day everybody!!








No comments: