Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Playing Opposites: Halo 4



Nate and I are as opposite as it comes. When we were first dating this was exciting, new and very cool. I have always loved meeting people that were different then me, learning about them and all of new things that they do. However, there comes a point, where this "coolness" wears off, and things become.... frustrating! If he wanted something, I would hate it, and vice- versa. As we came to the point where we were talking marriage, I was so stressed out about our differences and wondered if this could really work out! We read books, did personality style tests, and discussed what it would mean. The stats didn't look good, as an ENFP, my personality has the highest divorce rate in America and when an ENFP marries an ISTJ they almost always end in divorce. I wrestled over the stats, and had way too many talks with Nate about our prospects.

Fast forward a few years, happily married, we have experienced some of the most stressful things that a person can in life, family struggles, family members dying, moving away (twice!), having a preemie, and being ridiculously poor! We have experienced the everyday, mundane, paying bills, work, and grocery shopping. We have had our fair share of fights, disagreements, and some of the most amazing times all rolled into just a few years. There is no one that I would rather do life with, everyday life with, whether boring or adventurous!
One thing that has helped our opposite hobbies and personalities to connect is that we share in each other's interests! I'm sure that Nate would never have imagined waking up to a woman that is ready to talk the moment her eyes opened, rattling off birth facts, and breastfeeding tips. And well, I never imagined spending our lives committed to camping, and adventure, waking up to a man that is ready to hike Mt. Everest just about everyday of the week.

 Nate's friend came to stay with us for a weekend a few weeks ago, he left us his Xbox to borrow for a bit. I never grew up with brothers, and never played video games, but I decided that it was time to learn- so I started up Halo 4! The controller vibrated, and I began shooting like a crazy woman, missing most of my targets and squealing a lot. I don't know why, but it's soo stressful having big, huge, aliens smash your face in. And why do they always keep shooting at you after your dead-- I mean c'mon that's just rude!

 Anyway, my dear husband and I have been playing video games until way past our bedtime of late. And I am happy to say that I have gotten much better! We are having so much fun teaming up together and kicking some major butt! If there is one thing that we do well together, it is work together! It's so fun to see him just laugh and be silly, take a break from the stresses of life, and enjoy something for a minute.

Likewise, Nate does my hobbies with me as well. This past Saturday, as I was getting ready to do some yoga, Nate wanted to join in! I love doing yoga with Nate, he is so gracious to do yoga with me, since he really isn't the yoga type- but he does it! He has studied the positions, and gotten a lot better with each practice. It's so fun to have some unwind time doing an activity I love to do (that doesn't involve huge aliens!).

Yoga and video games may seem silly, but in our marriage these things have gone a long way- what activity is your significant other into and how can you get involved? It may be more fun than you think!

And if you haven't done a Myers Briggs Personality Test, I highly recommend it. It will give you great insight to yourself, relationships and how to get along with others! But don't take it too seriously, or you may miss out on your happily ever after with your "wrong fit," ----you're bigger than a statistic!
Myers Briggs Personality Test
Personalities Explained


No comments: