Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Many Uses of Essential Oils

Building a healthy family is such an important job that we have as parents. I knew when I was pregnant with Bree that I wanted to find a way to live a sustainable, healthy lifestyle, not just a fad diet/exercise routine. I began learning about the side effects of toxins in the body from everyday items like cleaners and such.  While I was pregnant with Bree I started researching the use of essential oils in pregnancy, and my dear husband spoiled me with some oils for our anniversary! Before then I always thought essential oils were only to be diffused ... oh how I had so much to learn! Since then, I have fallen in love with essential oils and use them for so many things in our home.

 I fist started using oils to help with pregnancy ailments like: stretch marks, leg cramps, back aches etc. I soon discovered the power of using oils for household cleaning solutions, and now our home contains very little store bought chemical anything. My love and interest in this "hippie" world became stronger when I was in desperate need for ibuprofen, but due to nursing Bree didn't want to have medicine in my system. I began researching like crazy! Reading about all of the toxins that are in over the counter medication--- uh this is a problem, so I began researching how to use essential oils in replace of medicine. Big disclaimer here, I am not a doctor, or a medical professional, just a woman looking to find a solution for headaches that doesn't kill my liver or fill my body with more problems that need medicine. 

The internet is flooding with voices that are going to tell you which brand of essential oils is the best to use, but I am here to tell you-- do the research yourself! Not all brands that are expensive are high quality, and not all brands that say 100% pure are. It can be a very confusing world to enter into, but I highly suggest doing some research and finding the brand that you feel comfortable using. 

Carrier Oils
First things first... always have a carrier oil! Do not use an oil on any part of your body with out it! Essential oils are highly concentrated (1 drop of lemon oil is the equivalent to 30 cups of lemon tea), so we want to be really careful as to how we use them! My favorite carrier oils are avocado oil, and coconut oil (mostly since those are the ones I cook with, so I kill two birds with one stone here!). Other oils are jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil, and even olive oil! This process is called diluting oils, depending on what you are making, the ratio carrier oil/essential oil can differ. But I usually do a few tablespoons of carrier oil to one drop of essential oil (this is for adults). 

Ok, so on to the good stuff-- the essential oils! Which ones do I use? And what are there many uses? These are my three are my absolute favorite and I use them almost on  a daily basis! 



Lavender: 
This is a staple oil in our house, that I literally use daily! Here are the many uses and benefits of lavender essential oil 
  • Calming  for anything that is inflamed, swollen or burned
  • Lavender is an adaptogen: meaning it aids in helping your body adjust to new situations, environments, and resisting stress
  • Lavender is a great antibacterial
  • Lavender smells amazing!!! 

So what do we use it for our home?
  • Laundry detergent
  • Baby wipe solution
  • Baby/Adult soap and shampoo
  • Sunburns,eczema,diaper rash
  • Cleaning solutions
  • Epsom salt detox baths
  • Headaches/allergies (hubby has bad allergies- and hasn't had to take any meds since!)
  • Just to breathe and relax from a long day!

Lemon:
Another staple in our house, that not only smells so yummy (I seriously get hungry every time I use it), but is really beneficial to our family's health is lemon.

  •  Amazing antibacterial
  • Cuts grease fast!
  •  Great detox 
  •  Promotes circulation in the body
  •  Helps with depression/ a great pick me up!
So how do we use lemon in our house? 

  • Cleaning solution for the kitchen
  • Detoxes body when put in a glass of water
  • Remove nasty odors in the house: shoes/diapers/ you name it
  • Dishwasher: Leaves dishes spotless
  • Diffused with lavender alleviates anxiety
  • Aids in allergies when combined with lavender
  • Facial toner: creates brighter skin aiding in circulation
Peppermint









Peppermint is fresh, fun and used daily in our home!
  • Aids digestion
  • Clears sinuses
  • Helps allergies
  • Takes away tension headaches
  • Natural fever reducer
  • Muscle relaxant
  • Cools itchy sunburns or scrapes
  • Cleans and whitens teeth
So how do we use it in our home?
  • Homemade icy hot-- works like a charm!
  • Natural "Tums"
  • Nausea reliever
  • Homemade toothpaste/mouthwash
  • Fever reducer
  • Tension headaches
  • Allergies 
  • Diffusing for a fresh outlook on the day!
I hope this encourages you to do some research, or pull out essential oils that you haven't used in a while! Below are some great resources for you to check out for more information. So what's your experience with essential oils? Have you tried them? Which ones are your favorite? Comment below and let me know! 



No comments: