Monday, February 8, 2016

Two Under Two- How we THRIVED!

My daughter was a mere 19 months when my son was born and life was moving at a whirlwind speed. It's almost been a year now since my son joined our little family and here are some of my survival tips for having two under two!

1. Have GRACE!!

The biggest lesson that I have learned this year is that I can't do it all- what does doing it all even mean anyway? Having grace allows me the freedom to breathe through tough moments and not call them defeated days! Can I hear an AMEN on that one? I often struggled with wanting to throw in the towel on days that I was stressed, overwhelmed and didn't know what to do next... GRACE is usually the answer! The day isn't over and even if you have a bad day- there is always tomorrow! The great thing about kids is that they are full of grace. My daughter has shown me this time and time again- she could care less that my "homeschool lessons" didn't turn out creatively, she just wants to be with me. (On that note, I gave up those lessons and found I had more peace, and my daughter still learned her colors, numbers and letters).

2. Have a Routine

Notice I didn't say schedule? Yeah, when you have two under two the biggest thing you can do is be flexible but be the leader- hence the word routine. This allows your baby and toddler to know what to expect next, but not be stuck  if there is a blow out causing all havoc on nap time, or if there are multiple meltodwns on your way to the door, and by the time you get everybody all packed up you're too exhausted to leave (please see #1 and be kind to yourself and your littles). But all in all routine gave me my sanity so that I could meet the kids with my A game and give them my best attention and love, because I didn't have to decide what to do next, I knew what came next!

3. Babywearing

Babywearing is so crucial for you and baby bonding, it helps with breastmilk supply, postpartum depression and keeps baby calm and having better weight gain! But I love this one when you have another one needing your attention, and hands! Babywearing allowed my son to take a nap on me so that we could have park time at the same time, or go to the store etc.

4. Bible Time
This is probably the most important secret to making it through the day- you're going to have chaotic days, where it feels like everyone is losing it and you're next--- this is when you take number 1 and head to the bathroom, closet or bedroom for two minutes... your kids will be ok, and grab a nugget of truth. Pray and head back into the trenches! I can always tell that I'm missing my perspective when the day starts to get crazy and I can't stay calm--- I need bible time and a little bit more of #1!!

Remember days where everyone stays in the PJ's are allowed, TV is ok as long as it doesn't replace good quality time with YOU, ice cream never killed anybody---- letting go is the lesson of two under two and there are so many things I never thought I would let go--- that I have!!! EMBRACE this new found freedom, and when somebody tells you that your hands are full, you can smile and say they are full of blessings!!


No comments: